October 15, 2017, Minneapolis, Minnesota:
The brilliant fall colors enhance our beautiful Minnesota’s lakes, and the countryside, and cityscapes are reminders that another winter is lurking just around the corner. Since winter is the season when the potential for structure fire increases, it’s essential to have your facility’s fire suppression system ready to extinguish or prevent the spread of fire.
Making sure your system is fully operational and prepped for cold weather is imperative to prevent sprinkler pipes from freezing. Inspections ensure valves will operate in case of fire, drains are clear, and antifreeze systems are at the right level.
October is THE time to get ready for winter. Whether it’s a healthcare facility, an apartment complex, a strip mall, or an airport, winterizing your business should be done now, before the first frost.
Too busy to take care of it? Not sure what to do? We can get you ready so give us a call and we’ll schedule you ASAP.
TIPS TO WINTERIZE YOUR FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM
To prepare for a Minnesota winter, we’ve compiled a checklist to use this fall, and keep handy in coming years. Completing these steps will ensure your facility, its contents, and its people are protected.
1. Know how to operate (shut down) your fire suppression system in case of an emergency. Shutdowns are needed when:
- A wet system pipe or head breaks due to freezing. Shutting it down and draining the system quickly will prevent damage
- A dry system trips and fills with water. Opening the valves and draining the system will prevent the pipes from freezing and potentially breaking or splitting.
2. Inspect your dry valve to ensure it is operating properly and will open in case of a fire.
3. Drain your low point drains of all excess water
4. Inspect your building to ensure that all heated spaces do not have openings or holes that will let cold air infiltrate and freeze the pipes
5. Test systems that contain antifreeze to ensure the system has the proper level of antifreeze (glycol).
By the way, Brothers Fire & Security offers a full line of fire suppression systems. We provide high quality fire extinguishers, install kitchen hoods, and develop sensitive-area systems where water-based systems are simply not an option.
We also offer clean agent systems, CO2 systems, flame, heat and smoke detection, foam systems, and paint booth solutions. Simply put, we custom-design a fire suppression system to fit your specific needs, asset protection level, and your budget.
ABOUT BROTHERS FIRE & SECURITY
As one of the premier providers of fire, security and communication solutions in the Upper Midwest, Brothers Fire & Security strives to build long-term, value-added relationships. We work with business owners and property management companies, as well as all types of public institutions to solve fire, security and communication needs. By taking advantage of our integrated bundled services, many of our clients find that they can save 25-30% on their safety services, annual inspections and more. From a single location to franchises throughout the region and the country, our integrated approach saves our clients valuable time, money and stress. We provide solutions for: data cabling, communications, security, system monitoring, fire suppression, fire protection and fire sprinkler systems.